The most important beauty hack is making sure your skin remains hydrated. This will give you a healthy glow and a more natural look, which means you need less makeup. Since most of us end up eating our lip gloss (you know who you are!), we don’t want to put nasty chemicals from drugstore products on our lips. The solution? These three totally natural DIY lip products you can make at home! They all use coconut oil (a very healthy superfood) and are very easy to make. Pro tip: you’re going to make your girlfriends mad jealous so you should probably make some for them too.
Honey Lemon Coconut Scrub
1 tsp of coconut oil
1 tsp of honey
1.5 – 2 tbsp of raw/granulated sugar, mixed
Dash of lemon juice
1) Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
2) Use a toothbrush to apply to your lips. Brush your lips in soft circles to exfoliate. Don’t worry if any gets in your mouth, it tastes amazing!
3) Follow up with some lip balm to smoothen your lips.
Rose Petal Lip Balm
1/8 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup beeswax (available at most craft stores)
1/8 cup shea butter (can be substituted with Vaseline)
1 tsp coconut or vanilla extract
1/4 cup rose petals (fresh or dried) (can be substituted with different flowers or herbs)
1 tsp sweet almond oil
1) Put all the ingredients into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 second intervals until everything has melted.
2) Pour into clean and sanitized containers. You can repurpose a used up lip balm container if you have one.
3) Let cool completely before using.
Mint Chocolate Lip Gloss
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp pure almond oil
1 tsp cocoa butter
3-4 drops pure vitamin E oil
1-2 drops pure peppermint extract
3-4 semi-sweet chocolate chips
1) Put all the ingredients into a microwave safe bowl.
2) Put about an inch of water in another small bowl and heat it to the point of steaming and simmering.
3) Set the first bowl (ingredients) on top of the second bowl (water) making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. You just need the steam to heat up the bowl.
4) Slowly mix the ingredients together for about 5 minutes or until they are all blended.
5) Pour the ingredients in a clean and sanitized container and wait for it to cool.
6) Once it hardens you’re good to go. Throw it in your purse for whenever you need a little beauty boost, or simply have a chocolate craving! Pro tip: be careful not to let it melt or you’ll have a sticky mess.