It’s Father’s Day today and we know you want to do something nice for him! Baking always seems like a good plan but is definitely harder than it looks. So much can go wrong, from forgetting an ingredient to burning down the house. Or just having to live with the fact that you created a disaster like the one pictured above. Cupcakes are easier than cakes so we’re going to start there. Here is a guide to making the perfect cupcake dessert for Dad! Or for anytime, cupcakes are a good idea always. 😉
The Basic Non-Burn Down House Cupcake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line 2 muffin tins with paper cupcake wrappers.
3. Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Cream sugar, butter and eggs together in big mixing bowl.
5. Alternate between gradually adding flour mixture and milk and vanilla to butter bowl. Mix together until really smooth.
6. Spoon batter into liners until about 3/4 full.
7. Bake 25-28 minutes until tops are golden or a toothpick comes out clean.
*Don’t forget they are in the oven, this is how major problems start.
The Best Buttercream Icing. Warning: you might just want to eat the whole bowl.
1 cup of room temperature butter
2 teaspoons of vanilla
4.5 cups of icing sugar
4-5 tablespoons of cream (preferably coffee cream but high fat milk works too if you don’t have that on hand)
Mix together in a bowl and it’s ready to go!
How to ice cupcake without getting “big-sugary-blob-mess”
There are three major tricks to remember when icing a cupcake:
1) Timing is everything. Wait until the cake has cooled so crumbs don’t get pulled off it. Make the frosting right before you ice them so it hasn’t had time to set, which will make it harder to spread.
2) Less is more. Add the icing and use a knife or spatula as few times as possible until it covers the cake. The more times you try to spread it the messier it will get.
3) More is more, when it comes to amount added because it is easier spread, and who doesn’t love a ton of icing!
Extra Fun Ideas
1) Two words: Gummy candy. Add some on top for a splash of color. Looks cute, tastes delicious!
2) Melt chocolate chips (white chocolate is our fave) in the microwave until it has melted enough to drizzle over icing
3) Mash up some berries and mix in with icing for fun color and flavour
4) Add food coloring for different colored icing, or even add to vanilla cake batter for some fun looking cake!
5) Add chocolate chips to the batter
6) Make half vanilla cake mix and half chocolate cake mix. Fill half the muffin tins with vanilla and swirl in some chocolate for both flavours at once!
7) Add sprinkles on top, or better yet cook some into the cake mix. We call these unicorn cupcakes.
8) Make cupcakes without cupcake wrappers. Let cool, cut in half and put icing in the middle to make a cupcake sandwich.
9) Buy fun and colourful cupcake wrappers! Super cute.
10) Cut up fresh fruit to decorate the top. That basically means the cupcake is a health food… right?